This last week I finally got back into the shop. I'm now in the process of building the parts and assembling the Benchcrafted leg vise. The first step was after I finished fitting the glide to the roughed out chop, was to figure out the location of the of the hole for the vise's screw and the mortise for the guide rail. I just clamped everything in place, leaving about 1/16" on the top of the chop that I will flush after the complete install.
I transferred all the marks to the chop and drilled for the screw.
For the glide mortise, I started by using my Triton router with an edge guide to make the initial slots on either side of the leg. I drilled the waste between the two slots with my drill press and cleaned everything up with my chisels.
After checking alignment, I drilled the hole through the leg for the screw and laid out the design on the chop, which is a continuation of the design used for the glide. The design is based on the chevron design found in the art deco style. You can barely see it laid in this picture of the chop.
The wheel and screw are actually fastened to the chop with machine screws and required tapping. Luckily, my Grandpa had given me his tap and die set. It was nice to finally be able to use it.
I mounted the hand wheel and tested the clearance of the glide in the glide mortise. After that, I cut out the design for the chop and cleaned it up with my chisels. My chisel of choice is my 2". It's probably the most used blade in my shop. The weight and size make it very easy to yield for many operations.
I made some 3/8" dowels on my Woodrat from the Osage Orange, drilled the holes to pin the glide and drove the dowels home. Since Orange Osage is so hard, it should do well as a pin for this purpose.
Late last night I posed the question to my social media friends, should I inlay this nut or not? Was there any reason I should other than that seems to be the thing to do. The overwhelming response was to do the inlay, but no particular reasons why it may be better to do so, in terms of integrity. I decided to go ahead and do the inlay, thinking that besides being slightly better looking, it would put less stress on the machine threads that are only holding in Fir, which is considered a softwood. Today, Marc Spagnuolo saw that I had decided to do the inlay and concurred on the possibility of this being slightly better in terms of strength.
The operation was again at the drill press using my large diameter forstner bit to hog the majority of the waste from the recess. I cleaned the perimeter with a chisel and got to the final depth and a clean bottom with my router plane. Here is the nut after the inlay process.
The last thing I did today was start to rough out the glide wheel brackets. Once I get these done, I can finally glue up the base and set the tops on!
I'm pretty close to wrapping this project. I still have dogs to make and the lower shelf.