The last two evenings I haven't had any time in the shop, except to clean up a bit. But, this weekend, which started on Friday, I awoke to a damp and frosty morning. It was the perfect start to a blissful weekend in the shop.
The first thing I worked on was the finishing touches on the mortise and tenon for the end cap. This was the second tenon I've cut. The first was at WIA '11, where I was fortunate enough to have Adam Cherubini give me some one on one instruction on sawing.
my new Bad Axe Beastmaster and Wyatt Earp saws. The tenon required very little work to fit just right into the mortise.
The fit was just about perfect. I left the cap a little proud on both sides to allow me to flush it up after I've got everything together.
PDF from Benchcrafted and the Sketch Up plan that Aaron Marshall has put together for the The Woodwhisperer Guild before I started drilling holes to both attach the end cap to the top and the ones needed for the tail vise.
The Benchcrafted instruction are VERY clear that a perfect fit is essential for flawless operation.
Next up was the part I was dreading the most. I really hate dust and have tried to design excellent dust collection through out the shop. The one weak area is any hand held routing operations. On the next post I'll review the Triton router I bought in response to the mess made when I routed the channel for the tail vise screw.
Hand Tool School teacher, I'm increasing the angle of my bench chisels from 20 degrees to 25 and adding a steeper micro-bevel.
In the midst of all this, I managed to mill up my legs, deadman, and leg vise boards. I'm going thicker on the legs than in the plan. Mine are 5 3/8" x 4 1/4".