Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Serving Bisket - The Design


O.K. Here's the thing, I've never taken the time to learn any of the CAD type programs. In all probability, I never will. I'm much more comfortable opening up my sketch book and grabbing a pencil. It's actually been kinda nice to do a little sketching; I used to all the time when I was younger. The last time I picked up my sketch book was over ten years ago. I never got that good and because I'm a little bit of a perfectionist, I tend to stop doing things I'm not great at doing.
I know that's insane. Well, now you're getting to know me. Back then I would never let anyone see what I'd done ('cause it wasn't perfect), so here are a couple of examples from my "early" work.
Now to the task at hand. Bisket's serving stand. I really like the idea of this first design.






The problem is that I am still very limited in my tool selection. The shop is not finished. I have several tools that still need to come over from my buddy Ken's (extremely small) basement
shop. I know it sounds like I'm whining, and .... I am. But anyway, this would've been cool. My "customer" (my lovely wife, Sylvia) said, "Really? Aren't we going for the whole Zen thing?"
The customer is ALWAYS right, and I really don't care as long as I get to design and build the thing. So, here's the "Zen" design I came up with. I have some red fir left over from building a pergola for "the customer" that will be just perfect for this.


The height needs to be nine inches. I'll figure out the rest of the dimensions after I get some of the rough cutting done. I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend and will post as I go.

2 comments:

Kari Hultman said...

Vic, your sketches are excellent!

Vic Hubbard said...

Thanks Kari,

Hopefully, today I'll get the rest of my milling and some glue up finished.
Thank you for adding me to your list or blogs.