Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Deadman Lives - Part 11

I thought I'd get a lot more done this week, but NOOOO!!! I've had an issue with the master bath shower door installation.  I'm up to four corrected shipments, once the part arrives tomorrow.  Luckily, it wasn't my error.  After I'm done with this bench, finishing the master bath "semi" remodel will be my priority.  I get to make several lamps for that project and I'll, of course, take you  along.

This week I got the bench assembled and applied two coats of polymerized tung oil.  These photos are with the oil still wet.


This particular oil is my favorite finish, as it's super easy to apply and looks wonderful.  I've used straight tung oil and a tung oil varnish before, but this applies and dries differently.  It also provides the ability to build a finish, if you wish.  I like it for the bench because I can reapply without any prep work and because this is a work bench, the surface prep was extremely minimal.

All this week I spent laying out the design and position of the dog holes for the deadman.  I got to use my favorite power tool, the bandsaw, for the design and then moved to the drill press for all the holes.
I used a forstner bit for the holes and set my depth stop to only allow the point of the forstner bit to penetrate the back of the deadman.   I then came back and finished up from the back side.  Both the drilling and clean up of the design were much more difficult than I expected.
The growth ring are very tight and, while I don't know why, this particular piece was harder to pare with my just sharpened chisel than the Osage Orange.  Here is what I came up with after a coat of oil has been applied.










This week, I'll get started on either the gap/stop and/or the dogs.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

If I remember right the late growth of Doug Fir is harder that Osage Orange. Because your old growth Fir has such tightly packed rings you have a very tough piece of wood to work with. Osage is hard but is more consistent across the rings so you don't have to muscle it so much.

Regardless, it is really beautiful stuff. I think the hardest part for you will be the time lost while you work when you stop to admire this bench for decades to come.

TheGravedigger said...

It's really looking good, Vic! I'm curious to see how the gap works for you. Great craftsmanship.

Lance said...

I feel like we should break out a couple of bench dogs, a deck of cards, and start playing cribbage!!
JK, great job!