Meet Doc, Wyatt and The BeastMaster! The beautifully handcrafted saws are exquisite. I had mine made with Cherry handles and stainless steel backs and split nuts. I can't wait until I get to play with my new little friends!
And today, my Benchcrafted hardware for my
Roubo bench arrived. The entire kit includes the leg vise and wagon vise hardware, along with extremely beefy bolts for the the bench stretchers. Those will allow me to adjust for seasonal movement, or if Sylvia ever decides I'm too damn expensive, she can take the bench apart and sell it after she's gotten rid of me. Remind me to make sure she stays happy!!!
The timbers are almost all cleaned up and I wanted to get you caught up. I brought over nearly 380 board feet of the reclaimed barn timbers, which is nearly three times the amount actually needed for the build. The reason for this is that it is a bit rough in places and without being able to see the wood, I really don't know how I am going to choose which timber becomes which piece of the build.
This is a shot of the board I'm cleaning right now. This is the last board that needed cleaning before I start laying out the pieces and start the rough dimensioning.
These are the tools I used for the surgical removal of all the errant nails. Pictured is the Wizard metal detector, gloves and ear muffs, dead blow hammer and chisel, small nail puller, cats paw, side cutters and a dental pick.
I used the Wizard to find the nails and marked each with chalk, then went back over each and used whichever tool suited the situation best to get the metal out of the board.
As you can see I had to excavate to get to the nails that had broken at the surface and rusted inward.